“You can’t achieve PAST what you believe.”
Motivational speaker Jen Groover speaking at the NYWIB Expo last week at the Jacob Javits Center remarking on the fact that less than 1% of the women in America create less than 1% of the wealth in America, even though they launch businesses at 2.5X the rate of men. Her talk was called “Zero to Million in One Year”
Dear LadyDrinks members,
Happy Diwali to those of you who celebrate.
It’s an Indian festival that symbolizes the victory of good over evil and knowledge over ignorance. A group of us showed up in our Indian finery this past Saturday to lady entrepreneur Mona Panjwani’s event this weekend. She and partner Anshu Gupta run Sparkles Events.
Established in 2014, their boutique event management company fills a pain point in the New York Metro area. Many of us are far from family, but still wish to engage in the Indian holiday traditions. She hosts this annual fiesta with food, drinks and, of course, plenty of Bollywood music. I caught my own boyfriend, who is quite Caucasian, and from Milwaukee, jigging to “Khaike Paan Banaras Wala” from the 1978 Bollywood movie “Don” and regaling in paani puri shots. Ha ha.
I’ll tell you where there isn’t any ignorance this morning. The voting locations in Manhattan are packed to the gills. Folks are out in droves making their voice heard. I was heartened to see Bee Schaffer’s Instagram post this morning, with her holding her sticker saying “She voted.”
RECAP OF LADYDRINKS/UMA PRESENT A FIRESIDE CHAT WITH SHALINI SHARMA, THRIVE GLOBAL “BRANDING WITH VIDEO”
Thursday November 1st, LadyDrinks teamed up with UMA to present a fireside chat with Shalini Sharma, Head of Global Video, Thrive Global. The topic was “Branding with Video,” how to leverage video to brand small businesses.
We began with a conversation about Shalini’s transition from Director of Video and Partnerships at Fast Company to her new position helming video at Arianna Huffington’s Thrive Global. After a lifetime in news and creating branded content for big corporates, Shalini felt that Arianna’s desire to create content around wellness and personal well being aligned with her own values.
We walked through several videos that can position a service-oriented company, such as John Hancock Financial, as more than a retirement planning company. The photo album and takeaways from the event here
Become a member of LadyDrinks, and be featured on a password protected page that gives you access to profiles and contact details of other LadyDrinks members around the world.
- December 5th LadyDrinks Holiday Edition at the Anita Dongre Store, Soho, with featured speaker Yash Dongre. Buy tix here
- January 17th LadyDrinks January NYC Edition: Fireside Chat with Author Fran Hauser, “THE MYTH OF THE NICE GIRL” Buy tix here
- March 1st LadyDrinks January New Jersey Edition: Fireside Chat with Author Fran Hauser, “THE MYTH OF THE NICE GIRL” Buy tix here
- April 12th, 2019 LadyDrinks Paris: Private Tour of the Louvre of Women Only ArtistsBuy tix here
- August 2019 LadyDrinks Mumbai: Lakme Fashion Week with Payal Singhal. Details coming.
A RECAP OF THE NEW YORK WOMEN IN BUSINESS EXPO, JAVITS CENTER, NEW YORK
Last week, I also had the privilege of attending the annual New York Women in Business Expo, where several LadyDrinks members were presenting, speaking and moderating. The content was absolutely excellent.
Sharing some resources here:
- For small business owners looking for clients, read Michael Port’s “Book Yourself Solid.” You won’t find yourself wanting for clients afterwards.
- For those looking to publish newsletters, put your social media plug in’s at the TOP if you want folks to share it. Put them at the BOTTOM of your newsletter if you want to direct traffic to those social media properties: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, etc
- For those looking to grow their Instagram following:
- Jumper Media (if you want to pay someone $125 a month to grow your following and engage with followers)
- Gary Vaynerchuck’s Instagram Strategy (if you want to grow your following yourself. Be warned, it will take 4 hours a day)
- Laura Allen, The Pitch Girl, (if you need to hone and distill how you ‘pitch’ yourself as a business, Laura is working with entrepreneurs who are experts in their field and are looking for a better way to sell their services.) Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ariel Hyatt, Cyber PR (if you want to become an influencer) Contact: AH@CyberPR.com